Latest update – 10th March 2020
Following today’s announcement from the Italian Government that they have placed the whole of Italy in “Lockdown” until 3rd April, we can advise that this does not hinder residents travelling to or from their place of work so long as they are not affected or have symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. This means that transport and freight trucks can go about their normal course of business. We can also confirm that at this present time our service between the UK and Italy continues to operate as normal, with little disruption.
Impact to day-2-day transport operation
Benfleet Forwarding is in constant contact with all partners in the transport chain. We are aware that manufacturers, suppliers and producers in Italy may well install their own COVID-19 virus precaution measures and already we are experiencing drivers being temperature tested upon arrival at collection or delivery points before being allowed onto the premises. This in itself is slowing down the process and we may see an impact on current transit times to and from Italy. We are monitoring this situation closely and we will report further when appropriate to do so.
• Local transport of goods is exempted from movement restrictions.
• International goods movement by train is not restricted.
• Daily work commute is allowed, but limited to travellers who have no symptoms of COVID-19 virus and have a ‘proven work needs’ to travel into work.
The current situation – Business as normal!
• All our services are still running and all terminals are still operational.
• For local trucking operations (pre- and after haulage) there is no impact in general.
• Our local office and partner staff will be able to work as normal.
• None of our staff or partners staff have been diagnosed with the virus.
We are monitoring the situation very carefully and we will update you of any significant change to the above. However, please be assured that we are continuing to operate our services via the UK and Italy as normal.